Zimbabwe province quiet after a security sweep

Order prevails and most Army units have been withdrawn from the troubled southern Zimbabwe province of Matabeleland after a two-week security operation, police said.

The operation began after an attack by gunmen on guards at Prime Minister Robert Mugabe's Harare residence June 24. The government later announced that eight soldiers from Bulawayo had been arrested. During the operation several people were arrested and arms were recovered, but there was no violence, police said.

You've read 3 of 3 free articles. Subscribe to continue.
QR Code to Zimbabwe province quiet after a security sweep
Read this article in
https://www.csmonitor.com/1982/0709/070920.html
QR Code to Subscription page
Start your subscription today
https://www.csmonitor.com/subscribe
CSM logo

Why is Christian Science in our name?

Our name is about honesty. The Monitor is owned by The Christian Science Church, and we’ve always been transparent about that.

The Church publishes the Monitor because it sees good journalism as vital to progress in the world. Since 1908, we’ve aimed “to injure no man, but to bless all mankind,” as our founder, Mary Baker Eddy, put it.

Here, you’ll find award-winning journalism not driven by commercial influences – a news organization that takes seriously its mission to uplift the world by seeking solutions and finding reasons for credible hope.

Explore values journalism About us